Reasons for Couples Counselling
You and your partner may be strong candidates for couples counseling if you:
- Feel tired, overwhelmed and stuck rehashing the same issues over and over again with no change.
- Are at a turning point in the relationship and feel you are slipping away from each other.
- Struggle with past hurts and trust issues that you can’t seem to get past.
- Feel a deep resentment that gets in the way of attempting to problem solve and work together.
- Can’t seem to break free from certain communication patterns and feel stuck.
- Are struggling to rekindle the feelings you had at the start of your relationship and want that back.
- Want to increase your connection, trust and sense of intimacy.
What to Expect in Couples Counselling
Couples entering therapy often have two mutually exclusive goals: wanting to feel loved and to feel understood. My goal with couples counselling is to help you restore effective and healthy communication with the hope of breaking free from rehashing things over and over. My hope is that you will rebuild a foundation of trust, emotional safety and connection with one another. Through the journey of couples counselling you can expect to become more self-aware, improve communication and work towards reconnecting emotionally as a couple. I hope you can experience the relationship you have been wanting.
I practice couples counselling using a variety of methods. I draw primarily on work by Dr. Sue Johnson using Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT). This approach recognizes each individual’s emotional needs. I also draw on The Gottman Method for Couples Therapy. This approach aims to disarm conflicting verbal communication; increase intimacy, respect and affection; remove barriers that create feelings of stagnancy, and aim to increase empathy and understanding.
If you and your partner are ready to make changes in your relationship, please reach out.